About the Reel Cinema
Dubbed as Plymouth's oldest cinema, the Reel Cinema has borne witness to some historic moments in Plymouth's history during it's 75 years.
Situated in the heart of Plymouth, the Cinema, which has been known by several different names over the years, was built in 1938 on the site of the old 1813 Theatre Royal which had been demolished the previous year.
Just a few short year's later, Plymouth was devastated by the Blitz but miraculously the Cinema survived despite the destruction of the adjoining hotel and assembly rooms.
By 1954 the decline in cinema-going led to the cinema being partly converted back in to a theatre with acts such as The Beatles, Cream, Deep Purple and T Rex appearing there in the 60's and 70's. It closed in 1976 and was reopened the next year with part of the site being sectioned off as a Bingo hall.
With such a long and varied history, in the current building and indeed on the site, this building certainly seems to hold some secrets with plenty of ghostly goings on happening on previous investigations.